Contract and Salaried Physicians
The SMA currently provides a host of services to physicians working under (or considering working under) salary and contractual arrangements, including:
- Negotiation representation
- Review of contracts, including remuneration levels and benefits
- Advice regarding self-employment status for contracted physicians
- Comparisons with payment rates and benefits provided in other jurisdictions
- Advice relating to physician service contracts
- Dispute resolution assistance for physicians encountering difficulties with employers or contracting agencies
The SMA has negotiated group contracts for contract psychiatrists, contract pathologists, emergency room physicians, and other physician groups.
In July 2020, the SMA and the Saskatchewan Ministry of Health signed a new memorandum of understanding (MOU) that provides a non-fee-for-service bargaining framework.